Wednesday, January 14, 2009

First Ingredient Confusion

If you could help me, I read this online about corn: While corn is a good ingredient as a carbohydrate source, it should never be listed first on the ingredient panel. Why is corn your first ingredient if its bad for dogs.
Robert

I am so glad you asked Robert!! This is one area where I know consumers can get very confused about reading ingredient labels. Corn is a GREAT ingredient if you have the time to read through the rest of the Kumpi website and as to it being the first ingredient. Think about it this way. (I will make this as simple as I can, so bear with me!)

Pet food is formulated by the ton. Check this out.....

301 lbs - 1st ingredient - MEAT

300 lbs - 2nd ingredient - GRAIN

300 lbs - 3rd ingredient - GRAIN

300 lbs - 4th ingredient - GRAIN

It's just a quick way to try and show how the first ingredient is not necessarily the "base" of a dog food. How with 301 pounds of meat and 900 pounds of grain can this be considered a meat based food??

I encourage consumers to read their label from the prospective of how grains can be 'split out' and made to appear minimal, when actually adding them all up can make them maximal.

Also, "fresh" chicken, turkey, etc. is usually about 70% moisture and drops down the label considerably when the food goes to cook. Seeing the word "meal" behind a meat or poultry source merely means the moisture has been wicked out at low temperatures. There's been so much fear-mongering about the word 'rendered' associated with the word 'meal' and render also can simply mean 'moisture removed.'

Thanks for the question!! I know it's confusing to read so many conflicting thoughts online. Many bring incomplete facts, no facts and little or no understanding about the science of nutrition; which is what Kumpi is all about.

Ok, before I need to copyright this, I'm going to sign off for now!

Evy